Every believer is expected to grow; be like Christ daily for use in the Kingdom of God. In Biology Growth is the increase in mass and size of a body or organs. It typically occurs through the multiplication of cells and an increase in intracellular substance.Development is physiological and functional maturation of the organism. It also refers to the increase in capacity and skill to effectively function.(https://byjus.com/biology/growth-development/)
Spiritual growth is the process of becoming more and more like Jesus Christ.
When we place our faith in Jesus, themaking us more like Him, conforming us to His image.(www.goquestions.org)
Engineers define Foundation as the element of a structure which connects it to the ground by transferring loads from the structure to the ground. Foundations are either shallow or deep.Our focus today
is Spiritual foundation and growth.
Jesus Christ is the foundation (and chief cornerstone) on which our Christian Fath is built.(1 Cor. 3:10-11, Ephesians 2:20). Anyone building should have Jesus Christ as the first strong base to hold the weight of his or her spiritual house.
Below are some basic principles percieved as the foundations for believers in christ:-
1. The deity of Christ. Jesus is God.
(John 10:30, John 20:28). He is the second person of the trinity responsible for our salvation and redemption, through His sacrificial death on the cross. All the Godhead members, God the Father, Son
and the Holy Spirit, work in unity to fulfil the purposes of our Heavenly father in individual lives and the entire world to those who accept Christ as Lord and saviour by being born again.
2. Faith- This is strong belief and trust (Hebrews 11:1, 11:6)
3. Salvation by grace- We are born again through God’s undeserved faour.
We did not do anything much to receive the salvation that we have but it is the Grace of God (Ephesians 2:8-9)
4. Salvation through Jesus Christ alone- On the final day every Person whether believing Christian or Sinner will stand before God for judgeent.
However for us to have peace and live with God eternally in heaven we must be saved through Jesus Christ because he is the only avenue towards our reconciliation with God. Acts 4:12 and John 14:6)
5. The resurrection of Christ-The Christian Faith is unique from all others because Jesus Christ died and rose again from the dead. His body that was put in the grave came back to life after three days and he stayed on earth for forty days before going back to glory in heaven.(1 Corinthians 15:14, John 2:19-21). This revealed God’s power as we saw last week in Ephesians 1:19-21. This is the reason we have chrisianity today.
6. The Good News-This is the Gospel; the message of Christ. The Bible has this from Genesis to Revelation. We should talk about Christ’s redemption story so that people can repent their sins and accept Christ as Lord and saviour. It is the information that is anointed with God’s power to convert people from a state of bondage by the devil. Every believer must Know about the Jesus Christ who came as a human being lived among us as both God and man, was crucified, died and resurrected to life) (1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Galatians 1:8-9).
7. The Holy Trinity. There is no particular verse in the Bible which only talks about trinity but it is indirectly revealed to show how this only one God works in unity of three persons for the good of believers.(Genesis 1:26-28, Matthew 28:19, 1 Corinthians 12:4-6). Blessings.
The Very Rev. Canon Dr. Rebecca Nyegenye, Provost.